Monday, July 5, 2010

Cheesy-Potatoes. Fat-free, Calorie-free, Meatless.

I just can't help myself but share this wonderfulness with the world: Cheesy Potatoes! We are going to have these at our wedding, even, they are that good. They are so delicious and so easy. And soooo NOT good for you. But if you tell yourself over and over that they are fat-free and calorie-free, you will soon believe it.


Cheesy Factor (1 no cheese, 10 all cheese): 7
Dummy Factor (1 easiest, 10 hardest): 1
Time Factor (1 shortest, 10 longest): 6


Cheesy Potatoes
1 bag frozen hash brown potatoes (country-style)
1 stick of butter (sliced into 1/2 or 1 in pieces)
1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese (2 cups)
1 can of Cream of Chicken soup
1 16 oz container of sour cream
Casserole dish

Preheat oven to 375 deg. Mix all ingredients together in casserole dish. Cook in oven for 1-1.5 hours (at least an hour, but also until top has a little golden brown to it).

Finger, fork, bowl-licking good. And once again, good for breakfast with side of scrambled eggs.

Variations:
- Vegetarian: So, I make these for my vegetarian friends, and I don't tell them that one of the ingredients is Cream of Chicken soup, and they never know the difference. So, sorry, herbivores, but there is, in fact, a meat-flavored product in this. But you haven't noticed by now, so don't worry about it. If you now feel the need to make a change, I have to say you are being ridiculous, but if you must, use Cream of Mushroom soup instead of Cream of Chicken soup. Weirdo.
- Lower Fat: I can't exactly call this version "low-fat", so we will call it "lower, fat". Instead of butter, use margarine. Instead of Cream of Chicken soup, use the fat-free Cream of Chicken Soup. Instead of sour cream, use light or fat-free sour cream. But whatever you do, don't skimp out on the cheese. Leave the cheese be.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Abby! We make these all the time, Seth LOVES them. We call them "party potatoes". I use cream of mushroom soup and actually dice an onion an add it in the mix also! I actually use 2 bags of shredded cheese and add the second bag to the top. SO GOOD!!!! thanks for the blog, I enjoy reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey, good call on the onions and cheese. Funny you mention that Seth loves them as I used to make them when I lived in AA and try and sneak the onions in there past Seth. He caught me every time! Good call on the 2nd bag of cheese!!! Now, why didn't I think of that, considering my cheese obsession?!?! I'll have to try 2nd bag next time I make them, or at least tell caterer to add 2nd bag of cheese for wedding :)

    ReplyDelete