Monday, August 16, 2010

Nice, France: the Pizza and Chili Oil at Sporting Plage


Nice, France: the Pizza
I don't really understand why, at all, but the French Riviera cities LOVE pizza. Flat-bread pizza, to be exact. All of the beaches in the city of Nice are on rocks, so when you go to a private beach, you pay like 40 Euro for the whole day, and they give you lounge chairs with cushions, towels, an umbrella, a waiter, etc. We went to supposedly the best beach every day, called Sporting Plage, which also had a restaurant, where I ordered pizza, of course.

The key to the pizza in France: chili oil. I have seen this before in those high end olive oil stores, or at outdoor specialty markets, but now, I will actually buy some next time I see it. It's basically olive oil that has chili peppers soaking in it, bottled with it. Let me tell you, it's better than crushed red peppers on a pizza. I know it sounds strange, but I am fully addicted!!!


Cheesy Factor (1 no cheese, 10 all cheese): 8
Dummy Factor (1 easiest, 10 hardest): 2
Time Factor (1 shortest, 10 longest): 3


Pizza Quesadilla
1 thick tortilla (burrito or large taco size per person)
Tomato Sauce (homemade or jarred)
Prosciutto
Green leaf lettuce or baby spinach
Fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese 
Kalamatta Olives 

Cook a tortilla in a large frying pan, on both sides, until warm. Then, basically, make a pizza on top of the tortilla using the sauce, sliced mozzarella, and sliced prosciutto, in a large frying pan (Use less of each ingredient than you think you should, because you will be folding in half). Cook, open-faced, in pan, until cheese starts to melt. Add a few leaves of the green leaf lettuce (or baby spinach), then fold in half, and cook "quesadilla" on both sides, until crispy. Serve with chili oil.


I know this recipe sounds strange. But it is delicious. The original actually is served as pizza on crispy flat-bread, but since I don't know anyone that often has that laying around, I decided to mix it up with a tortilla instead, turning into a pizza pocket, if you will. And if you are a herbivore, substitute mixed mushrooms or something for the prosciutto.But seriously, don't forget the chili oil. I'm not kidding. It won't be the same without it and you can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment