Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Carne Asada and Leftover Breakfast Casserole

We went down to Mexico this past Labor Day weekend. And successfully came back with all of our heads. I was super worried about going down, and did hours of research on the internet. But thankfully, we had an amazing trip with no problems. We went to Las Gaviotas, which is a housing community in between Ensenada and Rosarito in the Mexican state of Baja California Norte.

We rented a 3 bedroom house, about 3 rows up the hill from the ocean (about a 3 minute walk to beach area), for $159 a night! It was awesome. We brought all of our own food, and pretty much didn't leave the gated community the whole time. It was super fun and very relaxing.

As we were cooking one of our meals, we started talking about how people often don't know what to do with leftovers. I happen to be the queen of leftovers. I love them, and love coming up with new ideas of what to turn last night's dinner into. For dinner that night, we were having carne asada and chicken tacos, with sides of black beans, refried beans, and guacamole.

Before I get into the leftovers, I have to mention a new place I heard about: El Toro Gourmet Meats. Apparently, it's a full-on meat market with amazing cuts of meat AND pre-marinated meats. They are famous for their carne asada, and I have to say after trying it this weekend, it lived up to the hype. The chicken was amazing too. I am a meat snob (my next blog will be named "No Rubber Meat for Me, Please"). Both the chicken and carne were super lean and tender. I will be going there often.

So anyway, if I have to put a recipe on here for tacos, I will kill myself. C'mon people: meat, tortillas, toppings. Not difficult.

BUT, the leftovers for this were something I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with. So many options. So little time.


Cheesy Factor (1 no cheese, 10 all cheese): 1 or 6 (copious amounts of cheese optional, but recommended)
Dummy Factor (1 easiest, 10 hardest): 1
Time Factor (1 shortest, 10 longest): 1

Taco Night Leftovers Breakfast Casserole
Leftovers from taco night (beans, meat, toppings)
Eggs
Jalapenos
Hot Sauce

Scramble eggs or egg whites. While eggs are cooking, arrange in a bowl leftover meat, beans, cheese, chopped onion, chopped jalapeno. In saute pan or microwave, heat meat mixture up until meat hot and cheese melted. On plate, put meat mixture, then scrambled eggs, top with cilantro, salsa, and hot sauce. OPTIONAL: take everything on plate, and put into tortilla for breakfast burrito.

This doesn't sound all that amazing, as I read it, but trust me, it was a delicious Mexican breakfast. And healthy too. If you don't go overboard on the cheese that is. But I don't know how to do that. You could even make this casserole into nacho toppings on tortilla chips! So many options. So little time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment