Monday, June 14, 2010

Easy and Cheesy Enchiladas

I am so hungry right now and I would probably give my right arm to have these immediately. For those of you that know me well, you know I get cravings for food that will NOT go away until I satisfy them. I am going to be the worst pregnant person ever. I also get extremely cranky when I am hungry so as soon as I am done writing this post, I will be going to eat.

So this recipe is from my friend Francoise. Her and her husband Mark came over for dinner one night, and Francoise made these. They are SO easy. And SO delicious. I literally licked my plate when done. This is a great first posting I think because those of you that don't or can't cook, will have an easy time making these. And they are delicious.

Oh, and my favorite food is cheese. All cheese. Except fontina I recently discovered, which I think is disgusting and actually made me gag. Lot's of my recipes will have gobs of cheese. So if you are lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy, make sure to pay attention to my "cheesy factor" to see if you can eat it. Not probable, but I will make sure to mix in a few here and there without cheese.

Dummy factor: (1 easiest, 10 hardest): 3
Cheesy factor: (1 no cheese, 10 cheesiest): 8
Time factor: (1 shortest, 10 longest): 4

Chicken Enchiladas:
- Tortillas (I like flour but get what you like)
- Can of corn kernals (you should already have these in your pantry, thanks to me)
- Can of black beans
- Can of green chili enchilada sauce (get the big big one, and a medium temp. Don't get mild, you wuss. Trust me.)
- Shredded Cheese (probably a blend of some sort)
- Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- Chicken Breasts (for herbavores, try grilled or sauted shrimp. I haven't tried it but I bet it's good. Let me know if you try it.)
- Sour Cream (optional. Kind of. You want it.)

Preheat your oven t0 350.

1. Season your chicken breast with a little salt and pepper, and cook in saute pan, or however is easiest and quickest for you to cook chicken. Then slice it. Or cube it. However you like.
2. While chicken is cooking, drain the corn and black beans, then pour into a small pan on stove and heat up.
3. Pour half of the green chilli sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish.
4. Make an assembly line of enchiladas and get to filling: tortillas, then some shredded cheese, chicken, black beans and corn, and finally fresh cilantro. Roll up tortillas with goodies in them and place seam side down on the green chili sauce in the casserole dish.
Repeat until your dish is full.
5. Pour the remaining green chilli sauce over the top of the enchiladas and then put some more shredded cheese over the top. The more cheese the better if you ask me.
6. Place in oven for 15 minutes. Booyah! Serve with sour cream.

P.S. If you become obsessed with these as I have, you will soon realize that they are excellent reheated with a side of scrambled eggs for breakfast. Yes, I said it.




1 comment:

  1. Yes, I can attest to the cheesiness and yumminess of these enchiladas. I made these the other night and they were great! I made both chicken and shrimp, as well as a couple plain cheese. For the chicken I boiled some chicken breasts for about 10 min, then shredded them and pan fried them with some chopped onions. For the shrimp, I just fried them with the onions. Craig loved them both!

    The best thing about these, like you said, is being able to reheat them for the next day (and day after that).

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete