Monday, June 14, 2010

Let's get this pantry started!

I'm not a chef. I'm not an expert cook. But I do love to share my tried and true recipes with friends and family. And I love to talk. So why not start a blog to do both??

The gist of it is I will post a recipe here and there that I have tried out. It will probably be accompanied by a pointless story so beware. I really hope you try them and I promise to try and not lead you astray. And definitely let me know what you think of them if you try them please!

Let's get this pantry started!

So my friends often tell me that they don't cook a lot because they don't have the ingredients necessary. Cooking is an investment. And so is your pantry and your fridge. There are some basic essentials you should have to get started.

Here are the pantry basics. I don't care how small your space is, you have room for this stuff.

Spices
When I said cooking was an investment, I meant it literally. An investment which requires start-up money. Get these spices. Just do it. Yes, I know it is expensive to do all at once. But get what you can immediately, then just add one each time you go to the store to soften the blow to your wallet.
- Dried Basil
- Dried Parsley
- Dried Oregano
- Cumin (ground)
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Salt (or powder)
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Salt
- Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper

Cans
- Tomato Sauce
- Stewed tomatoes
- Tomato paste (small one)
- Diced tomatoes
- Mushrooms
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Corn
- Crushed Pineapple
- Mandarin Oranges
- Pears
- Jalapenos

Everything Else
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for cooking, you don't need to buy the super expensive stuff. Save that for the dipping. The best value I have found so far was you can get a pretty decent size bottle at Trader Joe's for like $8....and with the amount I cook with, you are going to need a lot)
- Vegetable Oil (just get a small one. Unless you bake a lot)
- Canola Oil (just get a small one)
- Worchestershire Sauce (just because you can't pronounce it doesn't mean you shouldn't have it)
- Sugar (smallest bag you can find)
- Balsamic Vinegar (If you like to dip things in this, get the good stuff. But like the olive oil, get a middle of the road one for cooking and salad dressings)
- White wine vinegar (small guy)
- Cidar vinegar (small guy)
- Tobasco

Fridge These are the things I usually try and have in the fridge at all times. And my best advice: buy veggies. If they are there, you will eat them. And they last longer than you think.
- Onion (sweet)
- Garlic Bulb
- Green Bell Pepper
- Red Bell Pepper
- Lemon (at least two)
- Lime (at least one)
- A1 Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Butter
- Eggs
- Milk (small one if you don't drink it)
- Sour Cream (small one if you don't eat it)


I am sure I have forgotten some things here in there. But for the most part, these are the building blocks for easy cooking. Most of the recipes I cook have ingredients that are already in my fridge/pantry which makes cooking a LOT easier. And after the initial expensive grocery store trip, you are just filling in holes here and there.

Now go to store. Make the investment. And then let's get cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment