Monday, June 14, 2010

Salmon and Salt for Dummies and Dhani


I don't like salmon. There, I said it. And I know that makes me a bad person blah blah blah. BUT I have a husband-to-be that LOVES salmon so I am constantly cooking it even though I don't like it.

You know what I do like, though? Dhani Jones

Dhani Jones, the love of my imaginary life, used to play football at Michigan and now he plays for the Bengals. He has a show on the Travel Channel called "Dhani Tackles the Globe" (Mondays at 8pm I think....Tivo it) where he travels around the world to different countries and plays their sports. He played water polo in Croatia, beach volleyball in Brazil, and this week: Lucha Libre in Mexico City. Ha! I can't wait. He's awesome. And dreamy. And I love him.

Enough about that....back to the food.

FYI: Albertsons grocery store must have read my post about going to Trader Joe's for olive oil because when I went there today, PRESTO! olive oil at drastically reduced prices.

So I can't remember where this salmon recipe came from but it is soooo easy and everyone tells me it is amazing. We are having it for dinner this evening with my dad's pea pods and mushrooms recipe (salt lovers paradise) and one of those Near East long grain and wild rice mixes. Well, that's what James is having. I will be having my beloved red meat.

Dummy factor (1 easiest, 10 hardest): 1 (if you can stir and push buttons, you can cook this)
Cheesy factor (1 no cheese, 10 cheesiest): 1 (Boooooooo)
Time factor (1 shortest, 10 longest): marination (is that a word?) takes a while, but quick cook time


Salmon for Dummies
- Salmon (6 oz. piece per serving)
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- Lemon Pepper seasoning
- Garlic Salt (or powder)

Mix oil, water, soy, and brown sugar in bowl until sugar dissolved. Season salmon with lemon pepper seasoning and garlic salt. Put salmon and marinade in plastic ziploc, and marinate in fridge for 2-3 hours. Then bake, broil, or grill.

If you broil, do it for like 2 minutes, then pull out and brush on a little more marinade, and put back under broiler for 2 more minutes, flip, and repeat until it flakes. Or bake in foil with some of the marinade at like 375 deg for 30 minutes (less for rare fish, more for well-done fish).


Pea Pods with Mushrooms
- Sugar Snap Peas (maybe 10-15 per person? eye-ball it)
- Brown or white mushrooms (2-3 per person)
- Olive oil
- Salt

Slice mushrooms, season with salt, and saute in olive oil. Be generous with amount of oil as you will want some extra in the pan. Boil water in pot, then cook pea pods in boiling water for like a minute or two (just long enough that you think they are hot). You want to keep them super crispy, so error on shorter side of time in water. Then take out of water, and toss in the mushroom/oil mixture, and season with salt again, serve immediately.

And if you can resist the urge to drink the excess oil/salt mixture on your plate, then you are a better human than I.


On a side note: some of you told you made comments, but for some reason, I don't see any. Granted I am a blogging novice, but I will look into this. Oh, and my dad, the teacher, wanted to give me some grammar advice, of which I, respectfully, declined. A writer I am not. I use commas like my seasonings: in excess. I just type as I would say it. And if I don't know the answer, sometimes I just make it up. Love me for me. Or for my stellar personality and charm. Not my mediocre writing capabilities.

And finally, my random thought of the day: blogging is great, I realized, because it feels like a socially acceptable way for me to talk to myself.

Next post topic: Over-Seasoners Anonymous. The story of Abby, the Salt and Pepper Monster. Stay-tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment